DUI Attorney in Chino, Ontario & Pomona
Driving Under the Influence Defense Attorney Serving the Inland Empire of Southern California
DUI is a serious criminal charge, and can cause unrepairable damages to your life as well as your reputation. A DUI conviction can have severe consequences such as losing your license, hefty fines, high insurance rates, drunk driving classes, DUI on your background check, and even jail-time.
IE Criminal Defense Lawyer Ronald Talkov specialize in successfully defending DUI cases and criminal charges in Chino, Ontario & Pomona courts. Contact IE Criminal Defense Attorney Ronald Talkov today at (909) 9-NO-JAIL to discuss how Mr. Talkov can help you.
Types of DUI Charges
The California Vehicle Code establishes two separate offenses involving drunk driving:
- Section 23152(a). It is unlawful for a person who is under the influence of any alcoholic beverage to drive a vehicle.
- Section 23152(b): It is unlawful for a person who has 0.08 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a vehicle.
In California, the state law treats DUI more than just a traffic violation. A DUI can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony. This all depends upon the circumstances in each unique case. For most drivers who have been charged a DUI for the first time, the arrest will be charged as a misdemeanor, but under some situations, it may be prosecuted as a Felony DUI.
Here are some possible California DUI charges:
First DUI Penalty:
- Generally, you are convicted of a first DUI if you are: twenty-one (21) or older, have no DUI or “Wet Reckless” convictions within ten (10) years, have a basic driver’s license and did not refuse a chemical test.
- Penalties: Up to 6 months of jail time, fines of up to $1,000 or more and a suspended driver license.
Second DUI Penalty:
- A second DUI is a considered a misdemeanor offense. If you are arrested for a second DUI offense within ten years of the first arrest, you may face a second DUI.
- Penalties: Mandatory jail time from 10 days to 1 year, fines of up to $2,000, a suspended license for 2 years, Level II DUI School. Other penalties depending on the specific California county where the arrest took place may also apply.
Third DUI Penalty:
- A third DUI still remains a misdemeanor offense. If you are arrested for a third DUI offense within ten years of the second arrest, you are facing a third DUI charge.
- Penalties: Mandatory jail time from 120 days to 1 year, fines up to $3,000, a driver license revocation for 3 years, DUI School for 18 months. Other penalties may also apply.
Fourth DUI Penalty:
- If you are arrested for a fourth DUI within ten years of the first, the fourth DUI will be treated as a felony DUI.
- You can be charged with a felony DUI if:
- You have three or more prior DUI or “wet reckless” convictions within the 10 year look back period.
- You cause an accident that results in a death or serious injury.
- You have a prior felony DUI conviction on your record.
- Penalties: Minimum jail time of 180 days to 10 years, $3,000 or more in fines, a 4 year driver license revocation, and DUI school. A conviction will leave a felony conviction on their record.
California treatment of first time DUI’s less severely than repeat offenses. Thus, the law has separate sets of penalties for first offense, second offense, and third+ offense DUI’s. This makes DUI law extremely complex. Therefore, it is important to have an DUI attorney to represent you and ensure your rights are protected.
Why You Need a DUI Defense Attorney
A DUI conviction can have serious consequences and penalties. If you have been charged for a DUI, it does not automatically mean that you are guilty or will be convicted. Thus, It is crucial to contact a DUI criminal defense lawyer if you are arrested for DUI to discuss the specifics of your case and determine the best course of action.
A successful DUI defense attorney can help you by:
- Reducing or dismissing penalties and consequences.
- Finding holes in the prosecution’s evidence.
- Protecting your rights.
- Advising you on your options.
- Dealing with tedious paperwork.
- Negotiating plea bargains.
- Representing you through any hearings.
An experienced DUI lawyer can help you reduce the severity of the penalties even if you are convicted and ensure you receive the best case result.
Contact an Experienced DUI Lawyer in Chino, Ontario and Pomona Today!
Your rights is paramount when facing a criminal DUI charge. Protect your rights by contacting IE DUI Lawyer Ronald Talkov today to find out what your best course of action is.
IE Criminal Defense Attorney Ronald Talkov has more than 35 years of legal practice throughout the cities of Chino, Ontario and Pomona.